Sharing Web Resources: Pt 2
The National Head Start Organization is welcoming a boost in federal funding. According to the press release, the bipartisan agreement includes $610 million increase for the fiscal year 2018. "NHSA Executive Director Yasmina Vinci said. “This increase will mean that programs can better support teachers and staff, more children will have access to full-day, full-year early child education, and more infants and toddlers will start off life with the Head Start advantage".
This is great news for the early childhood field, one step closer in the right direction. The bill not only supports children, families, and communities but the educators who are serving in these Head Start programs as well. As a teacher that works for UCCAC of Head Start, I hope to see the money spent appropriately across the board. At the center, I serve we do not offer transportation due to funding and budgeting. I had a family lose over 20 days of school due to inclement weather during the winter because they did not have any form of transportation besides walking. And, another family is about to drop a student who has shown some much progress at school and at home according to the grandfather who drops and picks her up every day, he goes back to work during the nicer weather and his schedule conflicts with our hours. As a program that's mission is to have accessibility, to a high-quality program, transportation should be at the forefront. The communities I serve is a low-income community and transportation is not easily accessible. Other Head Start programs in the Ulster county have transportation provided to the families and so should we. I hope to see a change in the budget at the center I serve, and a school bus next year so families are present every day, and we have access to go on trips around the community.
Resources
https://www.nhsa.org/pr-update/head-start-welcomes-boost-federal-funding
https://www.nhsa.org/
"The negotiated omnibus FY 2018 appropriations bill includes $9.853 billion for Head Start and Early Head Start, a $610 million increase over FY 2017 funding. The bill includes:
- $216 million for a cost of living adjustment (COLA) for Head Start staff (approximately a 2.2% increase, which is in line with inflation)
- $260 million for a partial day, partial-year programs to extend the duration of their services to better meet the needs of working families
- $755 million for Early Head Start Expansion and Child Care Partnerships (a $115 million increase over FY 2017).
This is great news for the early childhood field, one step closer in the right direction. The bill not only supports children, families, and communities but the educators who are serving in these Head Start programs as well. As a teacher that works for UCCAC of Head Start, I hope to see the money spent appropriately across the board. At the center, I serve we do not offer transportation due to funding and budgeting. I had a family lose over 20 days of school due to inclement weather during the winter because they did not have any form of transportation besides walking. And, another family is about to drop a student who has shown some much progress at school and at home according to the grandfather who drops and picks her up every day, he goes back to work during the nicer weather and his schedule conflicts with our hours. As a program that's mission is to have accessibility, to a high-quality program, transportation should be at the forefront. The communities I serve is a low-income community and transportation is not easily accessible. Other Head Start programs in the Ulster county have transportation provided to the families and so should we. I hope to see a change in the budget at the center I serve, and a school bus next year so families are present every day, and we have access to go on trips around the community.
Resources
https://www.nhsa.org/pr-update/head-start-welcomes-boost-federal-funding
https://www.nhsa.org/
Comments
Post a Comment